Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First Blogiversary!

In all the election excitement, I missed the fact that the one-year anniversary of this blog had passed. It was November 1st of 2007 that I started this BS. In between, I've run hot & cold on posting, sometimes barely writing in a given month, sometimes posting as much as three times a week (or four, last week, my highest rate of blogging yet). I've experimented with a regular feature, the Weeklypedia quiz, which became increasingly less regular and more inaccurately named.

Trafficwise, I passed the 1,000-pageview mark at the end of April. Given that I didn't add StatCounter to the front page until at least a month in, it might have been sooner. That said, there have been about 2 1/2 as many views since then as before then. I started using Google analytics a few months ago, which is great, and tells me not only how much traffic I'm getting, but where it's coming from.

In the last month, there have been single page views each from Mexico, Costa Rica, Germany, Austria, Poland, Sweden, Afghanistan, the UAE, and Indonesia and three hits each from The Netherlands, UK, and Canada. It is unknown how many of those visits were accidental. The most popular Google search that led people here (vigor space probe), with 22 hits, probably was intended to find information on an actual Vigor probe that was intended to study Venus, but failed due to a major error in units of measurement. Take that with a grain of salt, though, as I haven't been able to find another reference to this probe besides the one I just linked.

Anyway, thank you for reading and humoring me in my flights of fancy and delusions of grandeur. I enjoy writing this stuff, and especially have enjoyed your comments. I've got some fun ideas to write about, which I hopefully will not dawdle on too long.

Finally, a request: do any of you know of a good, free option for hosting short audio clips online for streaming? Something like YouTube but for audio? Lemme know.

3 comments:

Clarence Wethern said...

And you might've had a different set of readers happening upon your blog if you'd named it "V'Ger and Candor."

Jill said...

I use utterli.com which you can make phone calls to and it posts them. But you probably mean podcast type things. This I do not know.

Happy blogiversary. Ironically, the first anniversary is paper.

Tim said...

Happy Blogiversary. How can I get a counter on my page? And good analytics? Teach me, oh wise one.