1. He founded the Dominican Rebuplic.After I answered (I got #2 right), he then demanded that I prepare some trivia for him. I scoured my browser's history for Wikipedia topics I'd read in the previous week, and came up with some clues (Prisoner of Trebekistan has taught me that the nomenclature is clues and responses, since questions and answers don't really apply properly to Jeopardy). I've polished up these clues a bit, and posted them below. Nels says he wants more, so I'm going to keep doing this from time to time.
2. It is the only borough in New York City not on an island.
So, this is the first in a maybe-weekly series of trivia quizzes based on my Wikipedia consumption. Keep in mind that I'm a nerd, so being a nerd will help sometimes (there are two in the quiz below that it'll especially help on). Correct responses will be provided each time a new quiz goes up.
1. Heiress and socialite Gloria Vanderbilt is the mother of this CNN anchorman.
2. In 1976, the Viking I probe spied a "face" in this region of Mars' surface.
3. It is defined as one minute of an arc of a great circle on the Earth's surface.
4. He has been identified by various groups as the Pope, Martin Luther, and the Secretary General of the United Nations.
5. On the fictional planet of Arrakis, you'd call it Muad'Dib, but this rodent has a different name in the real American Southwest.
6. This film director has been portrayed by Liev Schreiber and Vincent D'Onofrio.
7. In the 1970s, his girlfriends included socialite Silver St. Cloud. Since then he's tended more towards news photographers and burglars.
8. His last theorem proved unsolvable for centuries.
Come back next week for more. Fair warning: comments may have spoilers in them